Thursday, June 10, 2010

The RING






We got here 2 nights ago and had dinner at the Nurburg brewery. It was good for dinne and good beer. Yesterday we went to the welcome center for the Nurburg ring. We got a tour of the race buildings for the F1 circut. After a quick stop for luech at Subway (our comfort food for the day) we went to the Museum. In the Museum was a BMW 3d movie on the 24 hour race on the ring. In the story the BMW lost it's radiator on the last lap... More on that later. When it rained in the race they had water sprinklers raining on us as well. It was a cool museum. It was a Disnyland approch for race cars. We did a simulated Formula 1 race and I was quite a bit faster than Mom and didn't go into the gravel.
Today we wandered over to a small town waiting for the ring to open to the public at 5pm I rented a 99 325i Bmw that was a race car from our bed and breakfast for the ring. On the first lap the recent repairs that had been done on the cooling system failed and the car lost all coolant. I got it off the ring, but the irony of my mechanical background and the movie the other day was not lost on us. The bed and breakfast brought over a Renalt clio cup car for me to run. It was a fast car on the ring.
Well the ring is beyond discription. All kinds of driving ablilities, including motorcycles on the 13.5 mile cours at once. As a fast driver you had your hands full with cars also passing like new 911 gt3's and Audi r8's... But I digress the ring.... WOW, what a rolercoaster ride. 13.5 miles of turns though the foreset and over other small towns over 1000 ft vertical gain and fall. My ears popped twice a lap. fast straight, slow corners were banked, WOW what fun. If I only had my own Porshe....
The car was returned with out a scratch so the $5000 dollar waiver was not needed. The day was a success as Mom enjoyed the constant show in the paddock. It was a good day to end with a beer.

3 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! Less than 4 days till we head your way!! Keep having fun! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that did sound like fun, but I'd still do it Glenda's way...from the side lines.
    Sherri and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. My posting yesterday didn't take. I won't try to repeat it. Suffice it to say I'm absolutely green with envy. Do you think the coolant difficulties are a prelude of things to come in G's Bimmer? I'm afraid I have to agree with Sherri. Sidelines are safer, 'specially for us old foggy's. Love you guys. I'm really looking forward to seeing both of you. me

    ReplyDelete